Chestnut & Walnut Street Branch 1864; Second Building, 1883
41st and Chestnut Streets, Philadelphia PA 19104
© Preston Thayer and Jed
Porter, Workshop of the World (Oliver Evans Press,
The facility originally
comprised a car barn, blacksmith shop with five forges,
and a stable sheltering 300 horses. Today, the portion of
the building retaining the greatest originality is that
facing 41st Street at the corner of Sansom.
Of the three trolley barns once servicing West Philadelphia, only this and one at Haverford Avenue and 41st Street remain.
Update May 2007 (by Harry Kyriakodis):
Still standing and used as an office and/or warehouse.